Healthy Pregnancy with CenteringPregnancy® is a unique healthcare model for expectant parents that goes beyond traditional medical care to combine individual medical visits with educational group care. Expectant parents who have similar due dates are grouped together to learn, share, and gain confidence about prenatal self-care. Healthy Pregnancy with CenteringPregnancy® offers the unique benefit of expectant parents receiving 10 times more support during their pregnancy getting to spend more time with their Provider, receiving more closely managed care from the Prenatal Coordinators, and gaining access to special guests such as Behavioral Health Therapists, Pediatricians, and Doulas.
How does Healthy Pregnancy by CenteringPregnancy® work?
CenteringPregnancy® is a national group healthcare model that occurs over 10 visits starting in your second trimester, similar to the schedule of a typical prenatal clinic. Each visit includes a private health assessment with your provider, along with extra time and attention in a group setting. We are proud to offer this program to our Saban patients as part of their recommended prenatal visits. The program includes 10 one-on-one visits with an OB provider, private “tummy-time”, and fun group chats and activities, such as:
- Breathing techniques
- Meditation practices
- Breastfeeding support
- What to eat and what not to eat while pregnant
- Exercises that are safe to do during pregnancy
- How to manage pregnancy side effects and discomfort
- How to prepare for delivery
- Birth control methods
- How to establish a healthy support network at home
- Health education taught by doulas and Behavioral Health Therapists
All Expecting Parents are invited!
Whether it’s your first or your third child, each pregnancy is unique and comes with its own challenges. We all have something to learn and share with others.
Let’s get started.
If you’re 16-20 weeks pregnant and/or would like to learn more about the program, complete the inquiry form:Inquiry Form
Benefits of the CenteringPregnancy® Program at Saban:
- Better Health outcomes – Numerous studies show that Centering moms have healthier babies, and that the CenteringPregnancy® care model reduces racial disparities in preterm birth.
- Self-care – Moms are actively engaged in their own healthcare and are given tools to balance life during the different stages of pregnancy.
- Self Confidence – Centering® moms become better prepared for labor, delivery, and to care for their infant, resulting in less emergency visits.
- More time with your provider – Expectant parents in Centering® spend more time with their medical support team than women in traditional prenatal care.
- Support & Friendship – Women enjoy being with other women who will be delivering around the same time and are going through a similar experience. It creates a support network. Centering® moms create lasting friendships and are a wonderful resource to one another during a very exciting but also challenging time in their lives.
- Welcoming & Safe – All expectant parents are welcome! Whether it’s your first time or your third time being pregnant, each group is tailored to the needs of the group. The group establishes the guidelines for safety and inclusion, to ensure everyone feels protected and heard.
- Learning & Fun – Centering® groups are fun! Women are actively engaged in learning and open discussions, rather than attending lectures or reading pamphlets. The environment makes it fun for women to have a greater understanding during their journey.
Interested in learning more about Healthy Pregnancy with CenteringPregnancy®, let your Primary Care Provider know you are interested or email email@example.com.
Meet the Team
Dr. Hei Wah Wong
Dr. Wong was born and raised in Los Angeles. She has dedicated 15 years of her life to becoming the medical leader she is today. She specializes in the care of women during pregnancy and childbirth. Her goal as a Provider and leader in the community is to help foster meaningful relationships between patients and their doctors. Dr. Wong serves as the Associate Medical Director at Saban Community Clinic and the Women’s and Prenatal Health Director. She is committed to offering whole-person care to our patients and community. Her most rewarding program is Centering Pregnancy, a nationally recognized initiative by the Centering Health Institute, that allows Saban’s expectant mothers to learn, and grow together, in a fun, safe, and healthy environment.
Dr. Jessica Portillo
Dr. Portillo received an award for Outstanding Performance in the field of family medicine, and a Physician of Tomorrow Award from the America Medical Association. In addition to providing direct care to her patients, she also co-leads prenatal sessions for the Centering Pregnancy Program at Saban. She believes that quality healthcare is a human right and dedicates her practice to providing compressive medical and family support services to her patients. Dr. Portillo says that the most rewarding aspect of her job is “helping my patients become more informed and confident about their own health and the wellness of their families.”
Katherine Padilla was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley. She was Saban’s OB/GYN medical assistant for two years, before being promoted to Prenatal Coordinator. Kat really enjoys being a part of the Prenatal Team because she likes the pregnancy process and seeing moms reach different milestones in their pregnancy. She is Saban’s newest facilitator for Centering Pregnancy. “I think Centering Pregnancy is a great space for new moms and experienced moms to learn from each other.” In her spare time, Kat likes to make short food vlogs to share online.
Glenda Laguna is from El Monte, CA and has been working in healthcare and Prenatal care for over 15 years. She enjoys being a part of Saban’s Prenatal Team and feels it’s an amazing experience to contribute to a mother’s journey into motherhood. It’s important to her to provide mothers with the education, resources, and tools they need for a successful pregnancy. She sees every delivered baby as her baby. “Patients benefit from Centering Pregnancy because women engage in their care, build a community, and have fun, versus the typical medical visit.”
A fun fact about Glenda is that she hopes to skydive one day!
Vanessa Fernandez is the Program Manager for Prenatal Services at the Clinic. Born and raised in Los Angeles, she is passionate about bridging the gap between healthcare professionals and communities. Her focus is on innovative care and community access. She has over 15 years of health care experience in community outreach, clinical care, and program development. Before joining the team, she worked for UCLA’s Venice Family Clinic as a Nutrition Specialist and for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as a Field Researcher. “It is an honor to be a part of the Centering Pregnancy Team at Saban. Creating sustainable and innovative programming that helps ALL expectant mothers receive a high standard of care is what I work towards every day.